Breast cancer and all that it brings with it has always held a special place for me, going on 4 years since my first surgery I have to learnt new things and I am always hopeful towards all the medical advancements that are taking place around the world.
When I was invited to the CK Birla Hospital for Women in Gurgaon for experiential session to learn the new things that they are doing in the field of medicine I was truly impressed with their Breast centre.
The hospital spread over 78,000 sq.ft, offers global standards of clinical excellence with a 75 bed facility, 15 bed level 3 NICU, 4 operating rooms, an IVF unit which offers andrology lab, modular egg collection theatre, IUI/embryo transfer facility and cryo storage etc.
1 in 22 women is likely to develop breast cancer over the course of their life span and of these 1 in 2 may not survive outcome. Breast cancer is the leading cancer in all women and accounts for almost 14% of it.
The hospital offers a detailed and comprehensive program for breast cancer prevention and is the only hospital in Gurgaon to offer the newest and most unique breast screening technique – Tactile Breast Examination (TBE).
A mastectomy is the surgical removal of a breast and sometimes nearby tissues. A radical mastectomy with complete removal of the breast, lymph nodes in the underarm, and some chest muscles under the breast. Although, over the last two decades medical advancements have given women more options by creating less invasive breast-conserving treatments for women.
The TBE which is done by the women from the National Association of Blind (NAB) is a German technique that was founded by Dr. Frank Hoffman in 2005.
The technique enables the consultant to detect an abrasion as small as 0.5 cm in the breast along with determining the shape, size, texture and whether or not its attached to the tissue of the breast or not. (Disclaimer – a patients history will valuable while performing this examination)
The Breast Centre is offering a number of services here like
- Advance Diagnostics covering Ultrasound, Digital Mammography, MRI Breast, Image guided Biopsy etc.
- Prevention Programmes covering Patient Education and Counselling, Self Breast Examinations, High Risk Screening, Genomic Screeening etc.
- Treatment based on clinical stage of Breast Cancer, histopathologic grade of cancer, presence/absence of Hormone receptors etc.
- Breast Surgery offering a whole spectrum of surgeries available across the globe including Breast Lumpectomy, Simple Mastectomy, Modified Radical mastectomy, Nipple Sparring Mastectomy/ Skin Sparring mastectomy with Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy etc.
- Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy.
- Non Cancerous Breast Diseases/ Conditions like Fibroadenoma, Phyllodes tumour, Fibrocystic and Fobroadenosis, Breast augmentation etc.
- Rehabilitation Services and Post Treatment Support like pain management, Rehab Yoga and Physiotherapy, Custom made post mastectomy brassieres, Nutrition services etc.
Some of my favorite features of the hospital was also The Studio, a neighborhood space where on a daily basis they conduct classes for Yoga, Zumba etc to make sure you do not miss on your daily dose of exercise. The hospital is one of the few spaces that actually offer the services of a WATER BIRTHING for pregnant women. I for one would have loved to have had that option 6 years when I had my first born. 16 hours of labour was an experience to remember.
So if you are in Gurgaon, this is really the place you want to check out and keep in mind for your next appointment and check up. And believe me there is nothing wrong in believing that PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.
To book an appointment for a FREE COMPREHENSIVE BREAST CANCER SCREENING call +91-124-4882243.